Authentic Mexican Rice. I used a can of Rotel tomatoes with juice instead of the canned tomatoes and tomato paste. I love it that way because I don’t like a “saucy” rice. Once everything is boiling, cover and take off the heat and let it set for 20 min-that’s it!
Make the rest of your meal while the rice is absorbing the wonderful flavors. Easy!
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 c long grain rice
- 1 small bell pepper, any color (i used red)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 c chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 c canned tomatoes with some juice
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- In a medium-large saucepan over medium high heat, toast rice in oil, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, or just until starting to turn brown.
- Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin. Stir and then add tomatoes, tomato paste and broth. (In the photo I omitted the paste and used a whole can of Ro-tel tomatoes with liquid instead-it's really, really good!). Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cook, stirring 3-4 minutes. Cover and remove from heat. Do NOT open the LID! This is crucial! If it's removed, it will ruin the entire thing. In 20 minutes it's ready to eat - just fluff with a fork and eat. The best ever!