Moist & Light Buttermilk Banana Cupcakes with Fluffy Peanut Butter & Cream Cheese Frosting Topped to Perfection with Crushed Butterfinger® Candy
These were created for The World Food Championship Dessert Category, and they’re one of my grandson’s favorites-he’s the one who convinced me to make it for WFC because he was my taste-tester.
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c light brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- FROSTING & TOPPING:
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 c creamy peanut butter
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 1-3 Tbsp heavy cream, if needed
- 1 regular size Butterfinger® candy bar
- 12 banana chips for garnish, if desired
- To make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 12-cup regular muffin tins with cupcake liners. Cut bananas lengthwise, place on a small baking sheet and roast in the oven 5 minutes. Remove bananas to a medium bowl and mash with a potato masher.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar and light brown sugar on medium high speed until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, with mixer on medium speed. Add vanilla and mashed bananas and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to batter in mixing bowl, alternating with buttermilk, just until incorporated. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake 17-18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean but do not overbake. Cool in pan 5 minutes then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter 2-3 minutes on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter and continue beating 1 minute. With mixer on low speed, gradually add powdered sugar ¼ cup at a time. Add cream, 1 teaspoon at a time, if needed, or until frosting is spreadable. Beat on high 2 minutes until fluffy.