A great way to use summer squash fresh from the garden.
Cheesy, full of squash, onion and garlic, and it feeds a lot of people as a side dish.
Use a combination of squash or just one kind. Even people who don’t care for squash love this casserole.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 c white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium yellow squash
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c heavy cream
- 1/4 c whole milk
- 2 medium eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; cook and stir onion and garlic in the hot oil-butter mixture until softened, about 3 minutes. Add squash, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is softened, about 5-10 minutes. Transfer squash mixture to a large bowl.
- Add 1 cup cheese, cream, milk and eggs to the bowl with the squash mixture and mix. Pour squash mixture into a 9x13-inch casserole dish sprayed with nonstick spray; top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until casserole is golden brown and bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.