What a wonderful side dish that I can eat alone for a meal. I’ve also added cooked shredded or chopped chicken to it for a great leftover meal. I think you’ll love the cheesiness, creaminess and the crunch from water chestnuts and celery.
- 4 c cooked white rice
- 1 box fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 c milk
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 c shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- ook long grain and wild rice mix according to package directions-takes 5 minutes. Combine this and the cooked white rice in a large bowl; set aside while making sauce.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add onion and celery and cook on medium high heat, stirring, just until onion is translucent, 1-2 minutes. Add cream cheese; reduce heat to medium and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- To the rice in bowl, add water chestnuts, cream cheese mixture, 1 t. salt, ½ t. black pepper, milk, soy sauce and 1 c. of the shredded cheese. Stir thoroughly and pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 c. shredded cheese and bake 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.