What a frugal and wonderful recipe-costs about $5 to make (excluding toppings), and I like mine without any toppings. Sometimes I’ll add fried sliced beef sausage to the top for dinner, served with crusty bread. Adjust the seasonings because some people like more pepper than I do.
- 3 slice regular bacon cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 stalk s celery, chopped, leaving some leaves on
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 6 medium russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 can s 13-15 ounces chicken broth
- 1 c water
- 3/4 c whole milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese if desired, for topping
- 1/2 c sour cream if desired, for topping
- 2 medium green onions chopped, if desired, for topping
In a pot, fry bacon pieces on medium heat, stirring, until done. Remove from pan, leaving bacon grease.
Add onion, celery and carrots to grease in pan. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes. Add potatoes and salt, pepper and onion powder. Stir.
Add chicken broth, water and the cooked bacon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook 30 minutes, or until potatoes are done. Taste and add more seasonings, as needed.
Turn off heat, add milk and butter and stir. Ready to serve. Top with any toppings you'd like.