I love pineapple in so many things I thought I’d try to add it to my slow cooker shredded pork. I experimented with the recipe, and this is what I came up with.
It’s a little bit spicy with the red pepper flakes but not too much. Mild enough for kiddos, but you can always leave it out. I believe in seasoning as you go in layers, so even though not written into the recipe, you can always add a little more garlic or spices as you go along, including soy sauce.
It came out perfect the first time, and the Hawaiian sweet buns were so good to serve this on. Love this new recipe!!!
- 1 small (appx. 2 lb) pork tenderloin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 c light brown sugar
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1/2 bottle prepared sweet bbq sauce like sweet baby ray's honey bbq sauce
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place the pork tenderloin in the bottom.
- Season top and bottom with seasonings, including dried onion flakes. Add soy sauce to top and top with half of the crushed pineapple, including juice, reserving the remainder in the refrigerator, covered, for the last hour of cook time.
- Cook on low 4-5 hours. If I'm home I cook on high for 30 minutes, turn over and cook on high another 30 minutes then turn on low for about 2-3 hours or more. When it's tender, I go ahead and shred and allow to continue to cook on very low heat.
- During the last hour of cooking time, add the remainder of the pineapple with juice and keep covered and keep cooking on low.
- Shred with two forks at the end of cooking time and add the bbq sauce. Mix well with fork. Cover and allow sauce to heat. Serve on buns. I use Hawaiian Sweet Buns-the best for this recipe.